a. Candida albicans
b. Aspergillus flavus
c. Coccidioides immitis
d. Herpes simplex type 1
e. Herpes simplex type 2
g. Tropheryma whippelii
h. Coxsackievirus B
i. Histoplasma capsulatum
j. Human parvovirus
k. Cryptococcus neoformans
1. An HIV-positive patient develops fever and dysphagia; endoscopic
biopsy shows yeast and hyphae.
2. A 50-year-old develops sudden onset of bizarre behavior. CSF shows
80 lymphocytes; magnetic resonance imaging shows temporal lobe abnormalities.
3 A patient with a previous history of tuberculosis now complains of
hemoptysis. There is an upper lobe mass with a cavity and a crescentshaped
4. A Filipino patient develops a pulmonary nodule after travel through
the American Southwest.
5. A 35-year-old male who had a fever, cough, and sore throat develops
chest pain after several days with diffuse ST segment elevations on ECG.
6. Overwhelming pneumonia with adult respiratory distress syndrome
occurs on an Indian reservation in the Southwest following exposure to
7. A child develops an erythematous rash appearing as a slapped cheek.